The customer, Royal Dutch Shell, recently expanded their operations to the oil sands. With water management being critical to a successful mining operation, Hagler Systems was contacted with the goal of creating a modular reclaim water barge. The water barge was required to be re-deployable over multiple ponds throughout the mine.Challenge
The Challenges We Solved
- Achieve maximum flow of 5250 m3/hr.
- Barge must be capable of unmanned remote operation.
- Easy deployment and launching from pond to pond.
- Suitable for operation at -42C.
Where We Excelled
- Utilized vertical submersible slurry pump arrangement, allowing total footprint and cost to be reduced.
- After a complete factory acceptance test in Augusta, Georgia, the barge was shipped and reassembled in Montana, where it was able to ship as a complete unit directly to Fort McMurray.
- Reduced total footprint of 55' X 25' which allowed for launch of barge by single shore based crane.
- Design of gravity fed lube oil system with continuous flow through the bearing assembly.