Suncor is a global leader in the oil and gas industry. In 2009 Hagler Systems supplied Suncor with a smaller MFT dredge, named the Beast. The Beast was designed for a dredging depth of 30' with a flow rate of 3,500 m3/hr. Over time Suncor's needs grew, and the dredging depth and flow rate was no longer adequate. In 2012 Suncor contacted Hagler Systems requesting a dredge that could dig at 100' and a flow rate of 4,000 m3/hr.Challenge
The Challenges We Solved
- The timeline was less than a year from the start of design to delivery at site.
- Develop 3 point mooring system.
- Design must be suitable for operation at -45C.
- Develop a modular dredge that could be fully assembled in Augusta, Georgia, and broken down and shipped up to Suncor to be reassembled at site.
Where We Excelled
- Utilized the Beast dredge as a floating booster station for the Beauty.
- Execute design build in less than a year.
- Added maintenance and access platforms throughout the entire dredge, reducing time required for maintenance.
- Developed a “mulching” cutterhead system that improved ability to process MFT.